Pages


Monday, December 10, 2012

My Favorite Book






               This book is entitled Tuesdays with Morrie and it is my favorite book. It is a 1997 non-fiction novel by American writer Mitch Albom.The book topped the New York Times Non-Fiction Bestsellers of 2000. This book has an elegant story about a writer getting a second chance to know the true meaning of  life through the death of a friend. Have you experi,nced having a teacher who fills your emptiness, gives advice and is a companion?               

             It was experienced by a former student, Mitch Albom and for him, that teacher is his professor, Morrie Schwartz.  Mitch Albom had a second chance to gain wisdom from his college professor. He visited Morrie every Tuesday, like they used to, after knowing that he is about to die because of an illness. Morrie taught him “The Meaning of Life”. As I turn the pages of the book, the story becomes more interesting. I have realized that experience is the best teacher. Others consider death as a fearsome event in our lives. For Morrie, there is more to  death. He accepted it. I am amazed by this man. I feel inspired, relieved, blessed and happy.Most of the time, we tend to do so many things that it comes to a point that we forget the important things in life. Life is not all about money or having power or authority over others. I learned how to serve the people around me. It made me realize how precious life is.

             The best line that struck me is “Don’t cling to things, because everything is impermanent.”  Morrie is right, we are easily blinded by the material things we see around us.We think if we have the latest gadgets, expensive clothes, jewelries and a big house we will be completely happy. I've realize that material things don’t guarantee us true happiness. The story of Mitch Albom and Morrie Schwartz gives hope to every person who reads it. It’s a brilliant story and it changed my life in a simple way. 

1 comment: